Welcome back! It’s a new year and (to some) a new decade – out with the ‘10s and in with the ‘20s. I’ve never been a stickler for resolutions but, like many, I do make certain plans for a new year.
2019 was amazing for me: a year I sold two novels, shared a short story for charity, and signed up for what will be a huge anthology. I was hired by one of my publishers as a part-time editing assistant. My website was created with the help of my amazing friends. I finished several new stories – half a dozen shorts and two novels. As the year wrapped up, I thanked my lucky stars to find such success – bolstered by the unwavering support of my family and friends.
Now, I face 2020 and all its possibilities. My heart is full, my motivation high.
In March, my debut novel will come out – Demon in Me, published by Giles Press.
Editing continues on my next novel from RhetAskew Publishing, and hopefully this year will see an announcement for that release date. It is a long path for a book to be published, indeed – 12-18 months for most of us, and my excitement continues to grow.
On Halloween 2020, the Hooper anthology from Giles Press will be released – including tales from some of the biggest names in horror today and (gulp) me.
So, what’s next? What are my goals for 2020?
I include this as written proof, a testimony of what I intend to work on as a writer and a person.
1) Find homes for my other short stories
2) Market my debut novel, a task that seems Herculean for a novice like me
3) Continue editing book 2, preparing it for publishing (target – early 2021, maybe?)
4) Sell at least one more novel
5) Prep most recent novels for querying or sale – in other words, more editing!
6) Continue learning professional editing skills and techniques at my new job, helping my peers send their books out into the world
1) Use my brand-new passport for a trip outside of the U.S. (a first for me!)
2) Maintain my health (not getting any younger, eh?)
3) Continue to strive for balance between work and family
And, in honor of my beautiful website, I’d like to try and chronicle what I can on my blog. Again, this is a method of accountability so I can keep myself on task. If anything I experience can help someone else, then all the better. Lord knows I’ve learned so much the past couple of years from the helpful blogs and advice of others, trailblazers who already experienced so much on our shared paths.
What are your goals for 2020? Anything you’re particularly thankful for from 2019, leading to special wishes for the next year and decade?
Share in the comments, I’d love to hear from you! And best wishes, friends – may this new year bring you light and laughter, fulfilling your hopes and dreams, and blessing you with a well-deserved taste of happiness.